As more and more technical devices include wifi capabilities, the need for a wireless network in your home is becoming very important.
If you don’t have a wireless router, or are on travel and want to create a Wifi network on the fly, now you can with your Mac and a wired internet connection.
6 Easy Steps to Turn Your Mac into a Wifi Hot Spot
To turn your Mac into a Wifi Hot Spot:
- Have a Mac computer connected to a WIRED internet connection
- Open System Preferences & navigate to the Sharing section
- Select Internet Sharing and make sure it is Unchecked
- Set the Share your connection from: option to Built-in Ethernet & check the Airport Option
- Select AirPort Options, Name your network, enable encryption, and enter a password.
- Back at the Sharing Site, check Internet Sharing and click Start when the pop-up asks for confirmation
Your Mac should now be sharing your internet connection by broadcasting out a wireless signal and creating a Wifi Hot Spot. You should be able to connect to the Hot Spot by connecting to the network you created and entering in the password for the connection.