This weeks Automator tip of the week focuses on quickly and easily converting the format of your Word documents to PDF by creating a workflow and saving it as a Finder Plugin.
To create an Automator workflow that will take your selected Word documents in a Finder window and convert them to PDF add the following actions:
- Get Selected Finder Items – This will tell the automator task to grab all the items you’ve selected in Finder
- Copy Finder Items – This will allow you to backup the items before you perform any action on them.
- Convert Format of Word Document – Select Portable Document Format (PDF)
Save The Workflow as a Plugin
With these three action items you have everything you need to quickly convert word documents. To make it even easier lets save Automator workflow as a Finder plugin.
- Select File
- Select Save as Plugin
- Name the plugin and Select Plugin for: Finder.
Test Out The New Finder Plugin
I named the plugin Word2PDF and I’m now ready to test our new Finder plugin:
- Open a Finder Window and navigate to a folder that contains word documents
- Select the word documents and right click (command + click)
- Select More, then Automator, and then Word2PDF (Or whatever you named your Finder plugin
Your computer will then automatically convert the Word files to PDF.